Day 3: Currumbin Wildlife and Hello Auckland!

Day 3 consisted of waking up early by 7:30 am, packing our luggage from our Air B&B in Gold Coast, and heading out to get some coffee before heading to the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary to see everything from koalas to kangaroos to wombats. If you know anyone who has told you anything about Australia, you may be used to hearing things like this rant that my favorite Youtuber Mini Ladd did a couple of years ago on a Twitter Q&A.

After getting some coffee and discussing plans for the rest of the day such as leaving Gold Coast to fly to Auckland later that afternoon, my sister Emma’s 23rd birthday the next day, and also sitting lazily by 2 adorable dogs and petting them while drinking my iced coffee.

After finishing up our coffee and late breakfast snacks, we drove our rented car to the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary and walked across the street to the entrance. Plus, with each ticket you bought to come in the sanctuary, your money was donated to the closest animal hospital. As soon as we entered the park, we immediately looked to our right to see the koalas sleeping in their trees and also to the kiosk where you could get your pictures taken with these furry gray teddy bears. We decided to get one family picture and I decided to get another picture with one individually just for me later. All the animals we saw had been rescued from the wild, taken in for medical problems, or other ailments. There were all kinds of animals such as emus, koalas, kangaroos, wombats, Tasmanian Devils, quokkas, lizards, poisonous toads, alligators, and much more. Although I must say that my top 3 animals I got to see where the koalas, the kangaroos, and the bilbies. After seeing all these animals, we went back so I could get a personalized photo with a koala and was told that the long line would only take 10 minutes max; we ended up waiting 40 minutes instead. All koalas have a very distinct smell, sometimes it’s good, sometimes it’s bad, but in my case, my koala smelled like fresh laundry right out of the dryer. I stroked its fur before letting it go to be photoed with the next person and headed to purchase souvenirs for my two friends, Kim and Maddie.

After a long day of looking at lovely animals, we had to head to the airport to leave for our Virgin Australia flight to Auckland, New Zealand. I must say, security in Australia is a lot more technologically advanced than the security in American airports and a lot faster. I know that to a lot of people being a vegan seems more like a burden than anything, but here in Australia, with a few exceptions, most places are very vegan-friendly.

After taking our flight from Gold Coast to Auckland, which was about 3 hours, we finally landed in Auckland, exhausted and ready to eat and go to sleep. We found a 24 hr grocery store right down the street from our Air B&B apartment and decided to pick up some breakfast food and also some snacks as well. Exhausted and full, we decided to head to bed and ready to wake up for a new day of adventure ahead.



(More updates to come!)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.