Spring Break is over and you know what that means? Back to work, sadly. We have just recently been starting on our new project that is a step further than our last project. We are using the same skills of researching, knowing our audience, but this time taking it further and adding social media to it and adding in focus groups.
My partner and I are very similar in that we are more introverted than extroverted and we wanted to come up with a project that would be something my partner and I would actively look for if it were us. Introverts like to listen more than they like to speak, but sometimes they really want to help, but not front and center. Being an introvert on a college campus can be tough when it comes to being in class, interacting with classmates or teachers and just in general.
As of right now, partner and I are putting together a survey to be taken by kids on MTSU’s campus to better help us understand our audience. We have come with a suitable amount of questions we believe will help us get to know our audience better and get to know them a little better.
This new project is a step up from our last project which is good and bad. It is good in a sense that we are building on skills we already have learned, however, it is bad in the sense that is our final project and shall take a lot of time to work on and finish which can be stressful as it comes close to the end of the year in terms of finals and such.
More to come as life goes on!
It has been a while since my last posting to my website and for that, I am truly sorry. Ever since school started back, everything has been really crazy in the world, personally, and academically. Having said this, here is a summary or recap of what has been going in my Audience & Messages class since my latest post.
My partner and I decided to do our Audience & Persuasion posts regarding his topic of religion. We wanted to go for an audience in Murfreesboro since we both attend school here, and decided to go outwards from there. We decided through demographic research that we wanted our target audience to be 25-34-year-old Caucasian females, who are married with one or more kids, and that identifies as a Christian or more specifically, Evangelical Christian. Once we found the desired demographics regarding our audience, we then decided we wanted to create a persona so we could better visualize our audience.
We then created “Carol Higgins” as our persona’s name. We created psychographics about Carol based on our research and also to better see how to interact with our audience in the best way based on their psychographic information. For example, we said that Carol loves posting photos of her 3 children on Facebook to show her friends and family how they’re doing. She also loves chatting with her friends and keeping up their lives on Facebook as well. Therefore, instead of going with our other possible platforms of reaching our audience such as radio, or television, we decided based on our research, and Carol’s persona, we decided that Facebook would be our best option. We created a fake church page called New Directions Community Church located in Murfreesboro, created solely for our project, and posted things we believed this specific church would post about. We also created an event, a ladies bible study, that we believed would be advertised to Carol if she were scrolling through Facebook, and used persuasive language in posting about the event that would encourage Carol and other women like her to come.
We presented our project this past Tuesday, and I believe we did well. However, this next project we are doing for class is way more complicated in terms of research. I am looking forward to becoming better at researching an audience and marketing towards them, but big projects like this scare me in terms of the amount of work and also the amount of stress they carry. However, Spring Break is coming, and that for now, is the shining light at the end of the tunnel right now.